Friday, April 21, 2006

First paper of the exams and I got 'swa' -ed!!!

It's been some time since I've blogged. Yup I'm having my exams now... There's so much to read up so little time and so little brain power... Hahaha... How to harnest brain power ya? It's only by practicing. But there's not past year papers to practice. OH NO!!! Oh well, what to do? Just study then.

I GOT 'SWA'-ED!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRRRHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was repetetively told to us on some topics in Swami's lecture notes were important. And whenever he says it's important, it means it will definately come out in the exams. Haha... I also told myself that my friends from last sem has already gotten bluff by him, I'm not going to fall into his trap. Who's to know, I was pulled into the trap no matter what.
I spent like nearly two to three weeks to memorise all his info and to understand them. It was up till a point that I couldn't care less about the exams. I just wanted to end it soon. Hmmmm... I memorised the same thing day in day out, paying lesser attention to the other info (well fortunately I've read the other notes to memorise the other stuff). There are a few stuff that I expected the exam paper to show:

- pH values and how to calculate them
- Enzymic conditions, inhibitors, Machaelis-Menton graph and Hemes
- Citric acid cycle and glycolysis

Thus I focused more on these few areas. My strategy was to attempt the carbohydrate and lipid metabolism first before the rest because they require intense memorising. Might as well complete them asap. Strangely enough, when I slept at 2am and woke up at 9am, I was still very sleepy. I continued to take short naps and drowsily reading the notes. Nothing much was going in. I had a hunch something was going to happen. Everything was fine till I went to school and sat in the exam hall. The graph paper was there, sure enough, there would be graph plotting, so expectation two was fulfilled. YES!!! When the Prof asked us to check our paper for errors, I quickly flipped to the end and looked for and questions that fulfill expectation 1 and 2. None was there. Oh no!!! I was 'swa'-ed !!!! There's no metabolism questions there!!! I can't believe it. The only quesiton that was in linkage to the citric acid cycle was "What is the condition before entering TCA?" And it's an MCQ!!! ARRRHHH!!!! I felt like a sucker... Unexpectedly such a situation can happen to me too. When I noticed there's no other expectations fulfilled, I just close the paper and smile. Because there's no need to 'vomit' out the cycles. I also noticed there's no pH related questions which further demoralise me.
Only when I started doing the paper, I noticed that the structured questions were not the problem; I knew how to do the primer question because I went for Swami's "important" tutorial. It was the MCQ that really killed me. I really take my hats off to the profs, their questions were tested from the notes but only those grey areas that we would seldom take notice off. Even if you did read everything, they test on how much you understand those facts. Wonderful... *clap clap* There's nothing much I could do, just continue doing the paper then.
After the paper, I just took a ride from my og mate back to science to collect my genetics lab report. I guess there's still things to be happy about. I got A A A+ for my three reports *Thanks Sandy - my TA* I spent like so many nights deciphering her questions because she had very high expectations for us. Then I was in the mean for my Biochemistry CA2. So there's something to be a little happy about. But the joy should not be celebrated now, I still must push on. There's the Genetics, Sociology and Biodiversity paper coming up next week, consecutively. Oh no... Got to push... I hope everything would be ok... I'm very anxious. I'm already faintly praying that my Biochem would get an A or A- at least. Alright... I think I should be getting back to my genetics. It's going to be a very long weekend and week ahead. See ya...

P.S. 'Swa' means got bluffed

-=ChEeRs=-

Tired, sleepy and numb
The Mixed Boy

1 Comments:

Blogger linz* said...

*waves* hello hello! linlin here =)) gd luck for the rest of ur exams!!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home